Sunday, September 24, 2023

Post #6: Anti War Voices


     For this post, I read an article from The American Conservative related to the war in Ukraine. (Article) This article talks about how our country can no longer afford to send money to Ukraine and yet we still get and fulfill the requests for financial aid. The article states that the Senate leadership of both parties are "holding the government hostage" to "force out hand". The article then goes into the risks of America getting involved in the war and how the longer this goes on for, the more chances there are for things to escalate.

    Up to this point, the news I've heard about the war in Ukraine has been nothing like what I read in this article. While I may not know why exactly I don't get to see this perspective at all, despite it seeming like most Americans agree with what was stated in the article, I can certainly tell that something or someone is preventing me and many others from seeing this perspective. I would think that it would have to be someone in a position of power who would have the ability to influence what websites can appear to people using the internet. News aggregators use algorithms to display news that are tailored to each user's interests, and yet despite many Americans being on the same side as the people who write these articles, the algorithms don't show people these articles. Perhaps someone blacklisted these anti-war websites from the algorithms on purpose to prevent people from hearing these voices, but of course, it's difficult to know for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post #12: Final Post - How and Why Technology is Part of my Life

      From the moment I wake up, almost every day the first thing I do is reach for that rectangular object and turn on the screen to wake m...