Thursday, September 7, 2023

Post #1: News Sources

     As a game design student mainly interested in video games, most of the news I see comes from gaming news sources. Of all the gaming news I see these are five of the main ones I enjoy looking at.

    1. PC Gamer

    PC Gamer as the name implies is a gaming news source that focuses on PC gaming. Their articles are mainly related to the most recently released PC games so I often rely on them when I need information on a newly released game, or just want to know what games are new. They also have articles on PC hardware which can certainly be useful when I'm looking to upgrade my setup as they can help me find the best parts at multiple price ranges. When it comes to PC gaming, they really have it all.

    2. Nintendo Life

    When I'm not on PC, I'm probably on a Nintendo platform, and Nintendo Life is a great place to find news related to said platform. In addition to news on upcoming releases, they also offer reviews of games which is nice for when I want to make sure I can enjoy my time with a game before I buy it. They can also have articles on older Nintendo games which is nice as there are lots of great games from the past that I'd love to learn more about. Overall, Nintendo Life has a great variety of content that keeps me interested.

    3. Games Radar

    While PC Gamer and Nintendo Life both focus on a particular field of gaming, Games Radar is where I go when I want info on both of those and then some. Games Radar lets me get information from all sides of the gaming space which is super useful as a game designer. I often need to research a variety of different kinds of games and getting up-to-date news on all types of games helps make that research a little bit easier. This is the site I tend to visit when I just want to see what's happening in the world of gaming.

    4. YouTube


    I use 
YouTube daily and it is often the best place to see brand new game announcements. Most major publishers will have a few live streams throughout the year usually around 45 minutes where they release tons of new game trailers for upcoming releases. These live streams are the best way to learn about new games the moment they get announced and are often very exciting to watch. When they aren't announcing tons of titles all at once, publishers will periodically release game trailers on their YouTube channels often to announce smaller games or to coincide with a game's launch. Being subscribed to these channels helps me know when a game is releasing and lets me learn about smaller games too.

    5. Twitter (I'm still calling it that)


   
Twitter, also known as the 24th letter of the alphabet, is a nice secondary to YouTube. The live streams I talked about previously are almost always announced beforehand on social media platforms. Twitter is the only main social media platform I actively use so it tends to be the place that I find out about said live streams. Publishers may also reveal information about a game by posting to Twitter such as a short gameplay video showing something off or simply mentioning a feature of the game. On rare occasions, a publisher might even announce a brand-new game in a simple tweet. This mainly happened during 2020 when COVID made creating these live streams more difficult for the publishers, but it was still strange to open Twitter only to find out a brand new game had just randomly appeared. Still, Twitter continues to be a great way to learn about more specific details of a particular game during the lead-up to release.

    These were just a few of the news sources I tend to use to get new information on gaming. I also still get more mainstream news, but I wanted to focus on the news that relates to my major and hobby.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post #12: Final Post - How and Why Technology is Part of my Life

      From the moment I wake up, almost every day the first thing I do is reach for that rectangular object and turn on the screen to wake m...